Tuesday, February 14, 2012

WAITING ON WEDNESDAY


"Waiting On" Wednesday is a weekly event, hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine, that spotlights upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating.

This week's WoW selection is...
Masque of the Red DeathEverything is in ruins.

A devastating plague has decimated the population. And those who are left live in fear of catching it as the city crumbles to pieces around them.

So what does Araby Worth have to live for?

Nights in the Debauchery Club, beautiful dresses, glittery make-up . . . and tantalizing ways to forget it all.

But in the depths of the club—in the depths of her own despair—Araby will find more than oblivion. She will find Will, the terribly handsome proprietor of the club. And Elliott, the wickedly smart aristocrat. Neither boy is what he seems. Both have secrets. Everyone does.

And Araby may find something not just to live for, but to fight for—no matter what it costs her. ~From GoodReads

Why I'm Waiting ~  What first caught my attention, of course, was the cover. Simply stunning, and haunting. But when I read the synopsis, I got to thinking. I always thought that I wasn't much of a Poe fan, but I when I think about it, I sort of am. I had an awesome Literature teacher who force-fed me classic works, heavy on the Poe. I read the original Masque of the Red Death, The Raven, The Tell-Tale Heart, Murders in the Rue Morgue. And the thing about his stories is, they've all stuck with me. So, long story short, I'm really excited to read this re-telling.

Hardcover, 320 pages
Expected publication: April 24th 2012 by Harper Collins

You can pre-order Masque of the Red Death at:
Barnes & Noble  |  Book Depository  |  Amazon

20 comments:

  1. Had this on my wow awhile back, can't wait to read it! Great pick!!

    check out my wow?

    http://shortandsweetreviews.blogspot.com/2012/02/wow-waiting-on-wednesday-25.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure I discovered it on someone's WoW post. That cover is just too beautiful to miss.
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. The cover is awesome! I'm waiting on this one too. I was never a big Poe fan either but after reading Nevermore I have gained a new Poe appreciation. Sounds like an awesome story!
    My WOW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you had asked me a few weeks ago, I would have said I hated Poe's stories. But honestly, few from school have stuck w/me this long.

      Delete
  3. Yes, this cover is to die for! It sounds like a really intriguing story. I didn't know it was retelling of Poe's work. I hope this one lives up to my expectations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Cathy! It will either be awesome, or, um...not so great.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. I do love this cover! And I went through my Poe phase....loved it!

    Here's MY WOW POST -

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great waiting on pick! It sounds like something I really need to check out - thank you for sharing! :)

    Here's mine:

    http://amylunderman.blogspot.com/2012/02/waiting-on-wednesday-10-persona-is-here.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great pick!! I am really looking forward to this book too! It sounds really awesome, and the cover is so gorgeous!!
    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Poe. Now I'm kind of anxious to read this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to say I like Poe, but I have not read a lot of his work. I have read Cask of Amontillado, Tell-Tale Heart, and The Raven. I think those are kind of standard in an Literature class. I do have to say that one of my all time favorite poems is Annabel Lee. I haven't ever read Masque of the Red Death, but I think this re-telling sounds very good! Thanks for sharing, and for stopping by my blog! I am adding it to my list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not even sure I've heard of Cask of Amontillado or Annabel Lee. I do hope this one turns out great.
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  9. We must truly be mind twins because I was soooooooo gonna put this as my WoW. I want to read this one too. I absolutely love the cover and it sounds awesome. I can't wait for it either.

    Good chouce luv!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't read anything by Poe but I'm realizing that I really should .. This book sounds amazing :) !! Great pick Andrea !!
    It also reminds me that I still have to read Nevermore which is also a YA novel inspired by Poe's work and from what I've heard it's a great book !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poe is pretty much standard for US students. You should definitely try him, if you like dark and weird. I have heard of Nevermore, but I didn't know it was based on a Poe story.
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  11. I really want to read The Masque of the Red Death too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great pick! I'm super excited for this book as well! It's gonna be my WoW either next week or the week after.

    My WoW: http://hopefaithbooks.blogspot.com/2012/02/waiting-on-wednesday-26.html

    -Brittani

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've had my eye on this one too. The cover is fabulous. Can't wait until April.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Have you ever drank red death?


    1/2 oz vodka
    1/2 oz Southern Comfort® peach liqueur
    1/2 oz amaretto almond liqueur
    1/2 oz triple sec
    1/2 oz sloe gin
    1/2 oz lime juice
    orange juice


    This shit tastes just like fruit punch, and it will knock you on your ass. I went out with a few of my friends back in the day.. and my ex. He ordered a pitcher. After my second glass I have no memory until the morning. I seriously dont remember how we got home..lol

    This book... makes me think of that drink.. I will read it for that purpose alone. :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are bloggy food. Feed me!

Recent Post