Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Review of Stay by C.C. Jackson


From GoodReads~
Callie is shocked when she is ripped from her home in the middle of the night. She is taken to a city that she never knew existed only to find that she has a strange connection to her sexy captor. To top it all off, he tries to convince her that she is not even human. She learns that she is actually a fairy. Not just any fairy, but a fairy who has been destined to become queen of the fairies.
The only problem is that the current queen is a cruel tyrant and Callie will have to fight for the title that she was meant for. She is not completely convinced that this is a life that she wants to live. She would love nothing more than to go back to being the normal human girl that she always thought that she was.
When tragedy strikes, Callie finds that she no longer knows who she can trust. She must learn to survive on her own in a harsh underground world.
She finds herself dealing with the struggles of life and love for the first time. Two gorgeous guys, a bunch of new friends, and a whole new world. Will it be more than she can bear?

  I have to start by saying, I love a good fairy book. My love started with Holly Black's Tithe series. So when I found this book, reading it was really a no-brainer for me. So, here's what I thought of Stay.

  Stay is a nice fantasy read. C.C. Jackson did an excellent job of setting the scenes for her story. When she described the underground fey world., I was all but transported there. I could almost smell the earth, feel the the moisture of the dank walls,  feel the rush of the air as Callie learn to fly.
  I love strong female characters. When Callie first learns about her secret heritage, she is hesitant to stay and learn to fight for what is rightfully hers. But as she becomes accustomed to the idea of being a fairy and retaking the throne,  Callie learns she has strengths she never imagined. Following her on the journey was interesting. Does she have what it takes?
  Now...there were a few thing about the book that slightly bothered me. For starters,the relationships between Callie and the two men she becomes involved with felt a little rushed. Callie seems to fall in love every time she is kissed. To be fair, she is supposed to have a special, life-long bond with one of the men, even though she has not seen him in many years. It has been a long time since I was a teenager. Maybe this is just the long-married cynic in me rearing it's jealous little head. This is a fantasy after all!
   Another problem was that the Callie's training and confrontation with the Queen felt a little rushed. The buildup of the story was nice, but I  felt that those sections of the story could have been expanded on. What came after the confrontation could have been much longer. Part of a sequel even.
  I want to say that I did truly enjoy Stay. The things I liked about the book outweigh what I didn't by far. I hope a sequel is written so we can read the further adventures of Callie. Stay is a fun fantasy read and I encourage you to try it for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are bloggy food. Feed me!

Recent Post